Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thee Ol' Milkin Barn


When my husband was a kid, his dad had cattle, dairy cattle and horses. He remembers having to do the milking twice a day, feeding all the animals before school. My husband claims he had to load 120+ bails every morning before school to feed the 50 head dairy, 50 head of horses and 150+ head of beef.

He told me all this when I was rummaging through the old barn, finding antique treasures about every 5 square feet! Now that is heaven to an antique collector, but trash to my husband. His dad had passed in 1999 and sold out the cattle and most of the horses a few years before that. His mother's family homesteaded on that land, and he was born in the old house that still stands, and passed in a home set up 40 to the east of it. You can say Stanley's roots were planted deep in Teton Valley!

The SURGE Milker canister has many stories, I can imagine them.. teenage boys pulling through the cows and probably playing a few pranks on each other in the meantime. I saw three wide canisters like the one above, complete with the lid that sealed on and has 4 ports each for a tube that ran to the teets of a cow with electric milkers on the end. There is also an upright canister. They no longer sit under cows collecting milk but rest on my front porch with annual flowers in them every summer. My husband thought I was 'off my rocker' when I asked if I could have them and hauled them 600 miles to our home now.

Along with my collection of Milker canisters I have two steel milk cans, stamped with their origin. I do believe one is stamped TETONIA. I'll have to post a later blog about them, when they are not covered with 2+ feet of snow as they are now.

I absolutely love antiques... for the mysteries they hold within!

No comments: